Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Threads of Life


Thread : [1913 Webster] 4. (Fig.) Something continued in a long course or tenor; a recurrent theme or related sequence of events in a larger story; as the thread of a story, or of life, or of a discourse. --Bp. Burnet.

Let's face it gang , we've been stuck together like glue since 1961, and five of us since 1960. That would be Patti S. Chrissy D. Donna A. Terry Mc. and myself. OK , Okay... some of you are asking for pics to go with the stories. Here's the Kindergarten picture where the five of us started . Can you pick us out ???





One might think that by moving to the East Coast , you'd escape from the thread of life , but we found you John S. ( Didn't we ) ? One might move to Chicago , and I understand you're there Jean H. ....drop us a line please. Jeff M., You are just down the road in San Bruno , send up a smoke signal.

The thread of life calls out ........to you all
Someone out there from our class may not want to be contacted right now because he or she is going through tough times. I'm certain that with the combined life experiences of us Alums , with just a phone call , an e-mail, a hug , a short note ....that small gesture would make a world of difference.....score one for the thread of life .

Coming back to the Family home has been interesting . Mom has boxes and boxes of pictures and it has proven to be a Treasure Chest of family memories . I have found not only old pictures of the immediate family but pictures from my Mom's growing up years . Pictures of Grandma and Grandpa that I'd never seen before made me feel connected to a past I'd only heard in stories .

Score another one for the thread of life.

Imagine seeing your Grandma with dark hair ( I only remember her from age 65, grey haired until she passed in her 90's ). Imagine seeing Grandpa in a three piece suit as a young lad just to go fishing or do yard work . That's how it was back in the day.


I spent days going through box after box soaking up all this history that was opening up before my eyes, just like an old time picture movie.

Two weeks ago was another thread of life event. My mother's Uncle Leon , from Watsonville, was turning 99 and we were invited to a barbecue . I was re-introduced to family members I had not seen in 10 years , and for one cousin it had been 35 years.

Here are two pictures ......one from @ 1945 and one from the barbecue two weeks ago . In the older family picture , Uncle Leon Ventura is the one on the right , Uncle Ray , Mom ( she said she was 15 in this pic ) Grandpa Ventura , Auntie Lou ( I was told not to divulge her age or there would be consequences ) Grandma, Uncle Jim and Uncle Henry.








In the second picture is my Auntie Lou , Uncle Ray , Auntie Epifania ( Uncle Leon's wife ) my mom Anne and our guest of honor Uncle Leon . Uncle Leon has touched many lives .






Each and everyone of us has done the same in someway or another. Coming back to Northern Ca. , back to Daly City, back to our family home here on East Vista has given me a connection like I've not felt in a long time .



Score one more for ................................The Thread of life................

Talk to you soon Alums,

Rick

1 comment:

RIlurky said...

Wow, Rick. Great pics. Your Mom looks GREAT. I'll be sure to pass your blog to my Mom so she can take a peak.

Small world. I saw that K pic and immediately saw the Vista Grande School. Hey, I went to Vista Grande School for K, too. Was I going to be in the pic? Did I not recall being in your class (remember, I didn't start OLPH until 4th grade). Nope, upon a closer look, I was in the AM K class.

Great job with the blog. I'm enjoying reading it as much as I am writing my own.

Talk soon...John