Monday, May 12, 2008

Top of the Hill ( Really )

On the front end of 40 Years ago , it seemed like life would take forever. On the back end of 40 years later , 1969 seems as if it were yesterday. As a youngster, the summer days were like weeks . The weeks were like months . The months were like years until September hit and we didn't want the summer to end . Remember strikeouts at Edgewood park or whiffleball at the War Memorial Rec Center ??? Bike rides to Thornton Beach by ourselves, or when Harvey C. took some of us to the top of Radio Mtn. Road to ride the twisty turns back down Guadalupe Canyon Rd . Do you remember hikes to Indian Head when the Guadalupe Canyon Rd wasn't even built yet ?
I mention this passage of time because I know if I felt this way , others had to have had the same feelings .
39 years ago, who would have thought that Alumni of the OLPH Class of 1969 would spread out to all ends of the United States . E-mails are coming in from Chico and Cottonwood , Calif. ... Southern Ca. is well represented and San Diego too.... San Angelo, Texas and Rhode Island .
Who's in Rhode Island you might ask ? Click on the Classmate blog list with the heading The Three Bucketeers and be surprised. I won't spoil it for this person but we've shared some humorous stories that will keep us chuckling for years to come . One story that comes to mind is when Jeff M. , ( our mystery classmate ) and I ditched school ( Riordan High in S.F.) and went to the San Francisco Zoo. We visited the Llama exhibit and the Llamas proceeded to spit on us. Let me tell you that Llama spit is one of the foulest smells on this planet and it is payback for ditching classes( at least in my mind ) . Our mystery classmate does remember the incident but he doesn't remember ditching school. Dear Mystery classmate . That happened 35 years ago and I think we are in the clear . I don't believe our Riordan High School Diplomas will be revoked .
If you are reading this , you've probably google mapped the Top of the Hill to view the old neighborhoods . I will include some close up pics in the next day or two which brings me to another question . Why would anybody paint their house Alhambra Water Truck ( Sparkletts Water for you So Cal Alumni ) bright green???? . My buddy Paul G. grew up on Winchester , two blocks from OLPH and the house next to his mom's house is BRIGHT GREEN . Now I apologize if any of you have a bright green house but ,come on now . Does the question What were you thinking come to mind ?...................Ooooops , I just fell off of the soapbox, sorry for the rant .

Talk to you soon,
Rick

1 comment:

Genise aka Nisa said...

Dear Ricky,
Thank you so much for creating a place for us to visit!
Also thank you for tracking me down through my sister Jennifer - which led to the reunion of my best friend at O.L.P.H. -
Denise Denike!
I can't wait to see the rest of our classmates! Love Nisa